Horchow Hall, Yale University
Horchow Hall is located on historic Hillhouse Avenue on the campus of Yale University. Constructed as a single family home in 1859, the structure was designed by Sidney Mason Stone in the Renaissance-Revival style. The building has been used as both a residence for University faculty and by the Yale School of Management. This renovation accommodates the newest tenant; Yale’s Jackson Institute for Global Affairs and preserves the architectural character and richness of this historic building.
Interior renovations included new floor and wall finishes, lighting and accessibility upgrades throughout. The first floor was reconfigured to create new restrooms, a kitchenette, and a small catering servery. On the exterior, the covered entry porch, window casings and trim and the cantilevered cornice lines of the roof were refinished. The exterior work highlights the elaborate detail of the arched Victorian door with carved rope mouldings and the finely articulated brackets along the roof perimeter, reinforcing the building’s presence as one of the Avenue’s best historic specimens.